Thursday, October 8, 2009

Update

I have been thinking about what would be worth writing on my blog, and I found a few minutes today. It has been a LONG time since I have written anything. I guess the best thing would be to start with some family highlights, and then an update on each of us.

First of all we spent a lovely weekend at the Oregon Coast, in Newport. We stayed in a cute little house that overlooked the beach. The weather was as unpredictable as per usual. We had one beautiful day that we spent running all over the beach. Spencer and Allie spent a good chunk of time filling buckets with jellyfish. It was the weirdest and most fun game ever. Spencer was swallowed by a sneaker wave, but he did just the right thing and kept his head up until Grandpa noticed and saved him. We were pretty worried for a minute, but all was good again after a warm bath and some dry clothes. We visited the Aquarium, which was awesome, and I would highly recommend it to anyone. There were lots of cool things to see, and even better, lots of cool things to touch. Have you ever touched a live shark? Totally awesome! We had a Pirate party for Spencer's 6th birthday, (it seemed appropriate at the beach) with a treasure cake and everything. We picked blackberries, and had clam chowder, and ate a crab. It was awesome.

The kids and I also spent a few days with my parents, wanting to make one last trip before the baby comes, and the weather gets rough. We had the fun time of spending a few days processing apples into pie filling, and juice. The kids had a great time, and about ate their weight in apples. What a treat to have this winter! We also went to camp Zarahemla while we were there. It was so fun for the kids to be able to run in the dirt, have canoe rides on the lake, and cook over the fire. Allie was quite the charmer, and made a few life long friends. Everyone really, but specifically my Uncles Richard and Darren, and my Grandpa Ritter. She just loved to sit and talk or give hugs or have someone to hold her hand and show her squirrels. I think maybe Darren was missing his own granddaughter, and Allie made a nice sub for a day or so. We had a great time! Unfortunately there was a forest fire, and we had to go home early. :(

Sam has come to the conclusion that we are going to stay with his current job, at least for now. I think. He is wanting to take up long distance biking, which is awesome. It will be so great for him! And he is charming, handsome, and wonderful as usual.

Spencer probably has the most updating to talk about. This month has been a blur for him! We started him in an online academy this year. This was really nice, because we were able to get all the materials and lesson plans, without spending any money and we could still have school at home. The bad part was that as it is funded by the state we are subject to the laws of the state, particularly the one that says you have to be 6 before September 1st in order to enter the first grade. Spencer has his birthday ( as I mentioned) September 4th, so we started Kindergarten, again. This was boring to say the least. We spent as much time as we could trying to get through the curriculum so that we could get the next set, but little boys can only sit and take tests for so long. There is also the problem of all the kids we know being gone all day. Spencer was so lonely and bored that it broke my heart. We decided to start talking to the school, and find out our options. After lots of phone calls, and the first round of GATE testing (which he passed!) we enrolled him into the Kindergarten at the local school. His teacher is working with him to find out exactly where he is, and where the best place for him would be. Today was day 4 of "real scho0ol". Spencer is loving everything about it, he is making friends and fitting in great. I have to say that I am loving the little bit of time to myself too as Allie usually takes a nap while he is in school. :)

Allie is great. She makes everyone happy, and is just about the cutest thing there ever was. She knows how to charm everyone into giving her exactly what she wants. We have been really working on potty training in the last month, and she is doing really well. I do have to say that I don't know who is getting trained, her or me. She still can't recognize the need to go. It will take time. . .Tomorrow, she goes in the have crowns "sparkle teeth" put on ALL her molars. This is very disappointing, especially to our budget, but we found out that her enamel wasn't formed correctly and is soft. Without this, her teeth will simply crumble out of her head with a lot of pain and cavities. These teeth will fall out, but that too will take time, so we are doing what we can now and hoping that the adult teeth will come in normal. We are spending the day in the Hospital tomorrow so that Allie can be anesthetized, and sleep while all her teeth are done at the same time. I think it will be a long day.

As for me, I am 34 weeks today with our bouncing baby boy. And bouncing about sums him up. He seems to be moving all the time. I think by the time he is born it will feel as strange to have nothing moving inside, and it first felt to have something move in the first place. I am tired and hungry all the time, and doing my best just to keep afloat. There is always something more to pick up, or clean. Food to be made, and children to entertain. I am feeling a little guilty about how happy I am to send Spencer to school. He is happy and safe, but I always thought that Homeschool was the way to go. At the moment I just couldn't take care of all the things on my list, and with a baby coming in just 6 weeks, life and all it's millions of little things alone are overwhelming. It has been good to get one big thing off my plate. This week alone I have almost completely gotten on top of my house, and a couple projects done, and a book read. I am feeling more in control, and loving who and what I am. Being a mom is the greatest. Now hopefully I can find the time I need to keep my blog updated, with cute pictures, and not let so nuch time lapse between posts!

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Yahoo! Baby is almost here! I am glad you figured out the best option of Spencer. He is such a social guy, he must be loving school! And what a smarty. What a lovely vacation you had. Miss you all and the lovely Idaho culdesac.

Mommab said...

Wow! That's lots of different news! Glad Spencer is at school and enjoying it, it will help to get you on your feet and able to take care of the new little one. Can't wait to see Allies' "sparkle teeth" Are you coming this way soon?

luanawillis said...

I love to read the stories you post here. Your family is so sweet. I can hardly wait for the little guy to poke his head out and say Hi! Give Spencer and Allie a big hug from me!
Love you--
Mom

Kara said...

It's pretty pathetic on my part that I didn't know Spencer is in school now... We've missed his little knock, knock, knock lately, but didn't know what to attribute it to! I'm so glad you are all doing well! We'll drop by soon, and HONESTLY, if you are ever too overwhelmed with the kids, or just need a break, send them my way! We love having them over! :)
Kara